I guess you’ve all heard the saying “less is more”, right? I’m not sure it applies when it comes to cake decoration, haha. When I made these donuts I had envisioned that they should have been very white, very simple and very minimalistic. Perhaps a bit of gold decorations. So I started with the gold stripes. Then added a few gold pearls. Clearly that wasn’t enough. So I added the edible gold dust. The white glitter. White pearls. “Oh shoot”, I thought to myself “I overdid it”. But when I stepped back and looked at the donuts I was actually pleasantly surprised. They really looked amazing. Beautiful even, if I may say to. And the decorations were just perfect.
So in this case there is no such thing as less is more, but we’ll go with more is more.
I love baking my donuts in the oven, by the way. Actually I’ve never tried baking them the traditional deep fried way. I haven’t had the courage to do it yet. But luckily I quite like the oven baked version. They taste absolutely delicious and I get to work in a kitchen free from smoke and that oil smell.
There are many different moulds for baking oven baked donuts in. I’m a fan of silicone moulds (I use these* from Silikomart), as I find that donuts tend to get stuck in the traditional metal moulds (even the non-stick ones).
Ingredients (makes app. 6-8 donuts)
150 g all-purpose flour
110 g sugar
1 ¼ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
1,2 dl milk
1 tsk lemon juice
1 ½ Tbs melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C.
- Grease the donut mould thoroughly or spray with butter spray.
- Sieve together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk the egg in another bowl.
- In a third bowl mix milk with lemon juice.
- Add milk, egg and the melted butter to the flour mixture and stir until the batter is even is without lumps.
- Pour the batter into the donut moulds. Only fill up each cavity about halfway – the donuts will rise quite a lot.
- Bake in the oven for 4-6 minutes.
½ jar (115 g) of Marshmallow Fluff
30 g powdered sugar
1½ Tbs milk
- Pour Marshmallow Fluff and powdered sugar into a bowl and stir. Add 1 Tbs of milk and stir until the glaze is smooth and shiny. Add more milk if needed until you are happy with the thickness of the glaze.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled donuts.
- Decorate with sprinkles, glitter and gold glaze.
Just a few quick words on “affiliate link”: If you purchase a product via an affiliate link I earn a (very) small commission. I only link to products that I use and that I highly recommend. You still get the same good product for the same good price as you would have if you had bought the products elsewhere, but this way I earn a very small percentage, which supports my work.