1 3⁄4 dl boiling water
1⁄2 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
260 g plain flour
1⁄2 tbsp baking powder
1⁄2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1⁄2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp Fine Liquorice Powder
110 g butter – room temperature
90 g cane sugar
80 g black treacle (or golden treacle)
70 g salty liquorice syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Grease and flour 3 small springform tins (16 cm). Hit the sides of the tins to remove any excess flour.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the boiling water in a small bowl.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and liquorice powder into a bowl. Add a pinch of salt.
- In a third bowl, cream the butter and cane sugar with a hand mixer at high speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. Continue to mix while adding the black treacle, liquorice syrup, the water mixture and the dry ingredients until combined.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Divide the mixture evenly into the three prepared tins. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Leave the cakes on a wire rack to cool completely.
450 g icing sugar
75 g unsalted butter – room temperature
190 g cream cheese (not light) – cold
- Beat the butter with a mixer until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Add all of the creamcheese at once and beat until incorporated. Turn the mixer onto high speed and continue to mix for about 5 minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy. Be careful not to mix for too long, as the frosting becomes thin and runny. Assemble the 3 cakes with the frosting.